Friday, May 18, 2007

Not much to report

OK, I haven't posted here in awhile, nothing of substance anyway. I want to keep this Blog specifically for Chloe stuff, and right now, there is not much going on as far as our adoption is concerned. I also try not to think about it too much because it is still such a long way off. Believe it or not, I haven't even bought anything for Chloe in about a month! I am trying to pace myself.

We have applied for a waiting child off of our agency's waiting child list, but we are not putting much hope into that. This is the 4th on we have applied for since beginning our journey, and we haven't been "chosen" to be parents yet.

My grandmother died about three weeks ago. She was suffering from Alzheimer's, so I am happy she no longer has to live like she had been living. I miss her, but as far as I am concerned she "died" a long time ago when she stopped recognizing any of us anymore. I know it sounds horrible to say the word "happy" but if you have ever had a loved one suffer from Alzheimer's you know what I mean. I know I wouldn't want to "live" like that.

I think I forgot to post a picture and thank our Secret Buddy for our April gift. April's theme was "April Showers Bring May Flowers" and our Secret Buddy did a great job. Chloe got a rain jacket and outfit, Blaine got a paint splatter type toy (which he loved!) and I got a flowered latte mug which I drink my coffee out of every morning. I didn't get any pictures yet, but I will probably post some eventually. I know our Secret Buddy really works hard on the gifts she sends us every month and I want to give her the recognition she deserves. Thanks Secret Buddy!

Let's see, anything else? Oh, today is my baby's (Blaine age 4 www.blainereed.blogspot.com) last day of preschool. On Monday he has to have his tonsils out. He is so upset about school being over, having to have his tonsils out, and knowing that his daddy will be leaving next month for training before his deployment to Iraq. I am also still torn about him going to Kindergarten. He is definitely smart enough to go on the Kindergarten, but I am not sure he is mature enough for Kindergarten. His teachers are no help, they say it is up to Joe and I. I am no good at making decisions, so I don't know what we are going to do. His speech is still kind of babyish and the kids and teachers have a hard time understanding him sometimes but I don't know if that is reason enough to hold him back. He goes to Speech therapy twice a week, but I don't think it really helps that much. I guess we will wait until August to make a final decision. I may just keep him back because of all that he will have to go through next year with his dad being gone and everything. Anyone out there have any advice?

Have to go and get my baby now. They are having an ice cream party at school to celebrate their last day. Do you think it would help if I stopped referring to him as my baby? By the way I have not read through this post, so if it makes no sense, sorry. It is also important for me to note that I can't spell.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hugs. You sound a little down. Sorry about your grandma, but I agree, she's out of pain and knows who you are again.

As far as your baby & kindergarten, my youngest turned 5 last July with a Sept 1st cutoff. She has a severe hearing loss. I knew she'd be okay academically, but worried about her being understood by her teachers and classmates. She's done great this year. She has the same teacher as her big sis, so at the first conference I asked more about her getting along and being understood. At the last conference, her teacher said she's so much clearer now. It gets better every day.

I know its a tough decision that you have to make. Try to think about years from now. Speech can be worked on and will eventually catch up. If he can handle it academically, then he's ready. But you also need to decide whether he can handle it emotionally. Does your school district have a kindergarten readiness list? Perhaps that would help.

Good luck. It's going to be really hard with his dad away. There was one classmate of my older daughter when she was in K who's mom was in Iraq for 18 months. I shed some tears for her the day I went to talk to class and she was leaving to meet her mom at the airport.

Sorry this is so long.

Laura
LID 11/22/06

D & S said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Courtney said...

Thanks Laura for your insight. I'll let you know what we decide.

Darla said...

We have close LIDs...ours is 11.23.06. Are there really 20K ahead of us??? Holy cow. I have a 9 yr old girl, so I am busy enough to keep myself occupied during the wait. Some days I "forget" that we are waiting. Coping mechanism at it's best. :)

About the Kinder question...since you asked for input...this is my thought...

If he's currently having speech problems, it might be a good idea to delay Kinder another year. Boys in general are not as socially mature (IMO) as girls at that age & he may get frustrated or have little to no interest.

I'm friends with a Mom who had her son repeat 1st grade (@ diff school to avoid teasing) for a list of reasons & he's now doing wonderful in 3rd.

If you do decide to try it out...do just that...TRY it out. It's not perm. He can always repeat. My DH repeated K due to immaturity & he ended up being A+ student & now an engineer. :) It's amazing how much diff 1 yr can make at that age.

Blessings to you!
Darla